Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Checkride

Yesterday afternoon I met with my DPE and finished the oral exam section of the two part private pilot checkride. Being the over achieving worrywart that I am, I went to the airport 2 hours early to ensure everything was prepared and readily accessible for the DPE. On my way in the DPE was leaving to grab some lunch. She asked why I was so early and if I would want to bump it up an hour; for whatever reason I agreed. It took a couple of seconds for me to realize that my preparation time had just been cut in half. This turned out to be a fantastic decision even though my apprehension level doubled because I lost an hour of preparation.

Hastily, I laid out all of the maintenance log books, my flight logbook, sectional chart and flight plan so that I might estalish a decent first impression. When the DPE arrived, we immediately finished the IACRA application and began examining the log books. Everything went smooth barring a little disappointment with some sloppy entries into my log book. She then asked if I was seeking aviation as a profession, and suggested cleaning up the logs if I were. That said we moved on to the flight plan and began discussing my planned route from HKY to FAY. After a few questions her phone rang and she proceeded to talk for a good 5-10 minutes. This was no skin off my back; in fact it was a welcomed break for me to collect my thoughts. After her conversation was through she proceeded to ask me a few questions about airspace and my privileges and responsibilities as a VFR pilot.

During all of the questioning the DPE did a fantastic job of carrying on a conversation (with me) while making sure I had some knowledge about aviation. We talked a lot about some of the trips she made and was able to somehow incorporate aviation into all of the stories she told. One such story involved a trip to Alaska where she had the opportunity to fly around Mt. Denali in a Piper Seneca. During their climb out she watched the altimeter and the pilot to see when he would offer everyone oxygen. She stopped the story there and asked what aeromedical factor might be experienced at these altitudes. It was simple stories like these that made the exam comfortable and fun. Unfortunately, I worried way too much and could have gotten away with a lot less studying. Better safe than sorry, though.

I guess everything went well, because she didn't tell me I failed. I was supposed to take the practical today at 12pm, but it was slightly windy and very hot. When I got to the airport I asked myself, 'if it were any other day, would I fly by myself?' I answered no and decided to postpone the flight until tomorrow morning at 7:30. Hopefully by noon tomorrow I will be a private pilot!

No comments:

Post a Comment