Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Flight Lesson

Since it had been 90 days since my flight instructor had ensorsed my logbook for solo flight (See FAR/AIM § 61.87 (n) (2)) I needed to show him my proficiency in order to attain another 90 day endorsement. Prior to this flight I had completed my first solo cross country. This flight took me from KMRN to KMWK to KGSO and back to KMRN. The first leg of the flight from MRN to MWK was rather uneventful and quite pleasent. I had opened my flight plan with FSS and contacted Atlanta Center for flight following. I must say that there is an added comfort in knowing that there is a second pair of eyes helping watch for aircraft in your vicinity; even if they are on the ground and trained on a monitor. Arriving into MWK was uneventful I crossed the field to check the windsock and made a tear drop back to enter the left downwind for runway 18 at a 45 degree angle. I landed safely and taxiied to the ramp to call my flight instructor and check in with my wife. 
Having taken care of my ground responsibilities, I taxiied back to 18.  On departure, I called ATL Center for flight following over to GSO.  Arriving into GSO was very eventful.  I received several vectors from GSO Approach that would eventually set me up for a clearance to land on 23L.  While I was being vectored, ATC was also vectoring another aircraft for a landing on the same runway.  Upon receiving my clearance to land, I heard ATC inform the aircraft behind me that he was 10kt faster than me.  Being in such a smaller and slower airplane, I was causing a small traffic jam on 23L.  This traffic jam would ultimately result in the trailing aircraft making a missed approach.  Once I landed and taxiied to the ramp, I got out and went into the Landmark FBO to grab a drink and check the weather.  Knowing that the winds were to pick up within the next two hours, I decided that an immediate departure was necessary to avoid any discomfort on the ride home.  To speed up the departure, ATC allowed for me to depart without taxiing to the end of the runway.  After taxiing onto 23L via K3, I throttle up and to my surprise was met with a crosswind as the plane lifted from the ground.  Without any cross wind correction, this little bit of wind lifted my left wing; thus dropping my right wing.  Luckily the gust wasn't significant and I was able to apply corrective action and depart GSO safely.  Once out of GSO airspace, I contacted ATL Center for flight following back to MRN.  At 6500' I encountered a significant headwind which slowed my progress to that being made by the vehicles traveling on I-40 below.  Needless to say, I could have drove from GSO to MRN and made it in the same time it took me to fly there.  
As I neared MRN and descended from 6500' through 4500' the turbulence began to pick up and remained with me through landing.  On my final approach into MRN I believe I flew through some wind-shear which made the nose of the aircraft turn one way while the tail went in the opposite direction.  Not knowing what to do in this situation, I made peace with Jesus really fast while continuing to aviate.  Once on the ground I thanked God and collected myself before getting out of the plane.      
Following this flight I decided to test my meddle against some fairly brisk winds.  Although these winds were only 10kts, each gust made its presence felt to the green pilot at the controls. On my downwind leg for runway 03 at KMRN I decided that flying for that day would be ceased once on the ground. Turning final for 03 I was greated by a nice little crosswind. Prior to going out that day I had mentally rehearsed side-slipping the airplane in the event of such a circumstance. To my surprise, I handled the wind very well and safely landed the plane. Although I decided to shorten the flight as a result of my own discomfort, I was able to walk away with a sense of accomplishment in knowing that I had properly applied the the necessary flight controls to combat the crosswinds that day.

Since these two flights, my instructor has moved his operations from KMRN to KHKY.  I could not be more pleased with this decision.  For one HKY is 5 minutes from my house.  Also, the airport is slightly busier and is towered which will provide me with an opportunity to hone my radio skills and prepare me for landing/operating at larger airports.

With the previous flight's winds still vivid in my nervous imagination, me and my flight instructor went out for an hour ride and made a couple of short field landings and take-offs. There was some turbulence that day which quickly brought back the memories of the previous two flights.  I am not sure why I have become so uncomfortable with turbulence and wind, but I would like to get over that so I can fly in comfort.  I have approximately 3 hours left until I take my checkride with the FAA examiner.  Two of these hours will be spent under the hood learning to fly using the cub's instruments while the remaining 1 or so will be spent flying my second cross country. 





share this: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment