Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Morning Flight

I could not have picked a better time to fly than Monday morning of this week. Although a fine haze limited visibility to about 6 miles, the air gratefully greeted me free of any agitation. This flight was made that much more satisfying after a ground conversation with two Challenger pilots.

After the preflight, the aforementioned Challenger pilots, acting like children at this point, gathered, in admiration, around the Sport Cub. They both loved the cockpit and were astonished that a later re-model could resemble the cherished, time tested, Piper version. Their excitement bewildered me and provoked the question, 'Which would you rather be flying, the Challenger or the Cub?'. Both agreed that they would rather be logging time in the Cub. However, I suppose the monetary needs are not quite satisfied if all of your time is spent in a Cub playing, and not working. I informed them that my PPL training, including cross country trips, were completed in the Cub. I think they were a little impressed.

After prostrating themselves before the Cub, I told them I would take them up if I ever saw them in town again. Maybe we can swap rides :)

Images to follow!





















2 comments:

  1. Lol, thanks for the story! I've had air conversations with a couple pilots that "wished they were down there". It's hard (and sad) to imagine someone progressing to the flight levels without retaining the stick-and-rudder joy.... but I'm sure it happens. It won't happen to US though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the story. It made my day to see how giddy they were. I starter training in a 172 before the owner left the fbo. My instructor pushed me to fly tailwheel. I was very reluctant to switch and thought it would be a "down-grade" from the cessna. I was sadly mistaken. Now, someone will have to fight me if they want me to fly something else.

    ReplyDelete