Saturday, July 18, 2009

No flying today

I decided not to go flying today in an effort to save money. I was able to receive the wife's blessing to take her sister inlaw's mother flying some evening in the upcoming week.

The lack of funding has led to, not only a lack of flying, but also a diminished level of confidence when I do fly. I should be more specific, my confidence isn't in constant jeopardy, it becomes most susceptible during the landing phase of flight. All other phases, though just as important, remain relatively docile and less threatening. While I am able to make nice approaches, both crabbing and slipping, I find it difficult to keep the appropriate aileron correction applied throughout the entire landing. Consequently I develop significant apprehension about flying when prevailing winds greater than 5 knots. I am as picky with winds as some children are with trying new foods. I really hope to get over this soon because I don't want it to ruin my love for flying. I know that the only way to cure what as me is more practice. Unfortunately, my practice is compromised by low funds.

I'll get there. I feel slightly embarassed admitting this after obtaining my license. Maybe I should keep this achievement in mind and use it to build my confidence by knowing that I possess the required skill sets to manage situations. At the same time, if conditions aren't within my confidence range I know not to fly. There has to be a happy medium, right?




-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment