Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Indefinate Checkride Date

Since my previous post, little development has occurred and I disappointedly remain a student pilot. My disappointment doesn't come from being a student; rather, it is an artifact of not completing the requirements necessary to obtain my private pilot's certificate in time for an upcoming family visit. Normally my disappointment and anxiety would be less evident, but since my family rarely visits western NC, this weekend would be one of the few chances I could have taken my father flying. Not to mention, this is Father's day weekend.

At this time I do not have a firm date to anticipate, but I continue to study and mentally prepare for the oral and practical exams. I am hoping to take the checkride within the next week if the weather holds. The more it draws out the less confident and more nervous I get. I trust that these delays are happening for a reason. Who knows, maybe a gust of wind would have resulted in a failure on a day the checkride had been scheduled to occur.

During this delay, I developed a nifty weight and balance spread sheet that calculates the weight and C.G. information, and confirms safe flight using conditional formatting and graphics. The image below compares two situations differing only in the amount of fuel on board. As you can see, when too much fuel is added a red warning message appears in conjunction with the graphic showing a plotted point outside the W&B limitations. I hope to soon develop another calculator that will use the landing and take-off charts to determine the respective distances needed for each to occur safely. This will be a little more difficult and less accurate due to the interpolations that will have to be made using proprietary equations established by Cubcrafters.

More to come...stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment